Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Toyota gas pedal

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:30:50 -0800, Erik wrote:

Why not simply turn the key to the run position, open the hood and press
a ballpoint pen or other item, on the little gizmo in the Schraider
valve on the fuel injector rail until it spritzs gas up like a litle
fountain?

Or doesnt that work?

Please tell me! I might run out of gas someday.

Gunner

When the key is first turned on, the pump is only run a couple of
seconds to be sure the fuel rail is up to pressure. The pump isn't
allowed to run continuously unless the engine is actually running or in
the process of being cranked.

It's a safety thing, you don't want the pump running alone... if allowed
to do so, it could pump the tank contents out through a ruptured fuel
line at an accident site. It happened more than a few times back in the
early days of electric fuel pumps.

Ah! Thanks!

So If the schrader valve is pressed and held down...then the ignition
turned on and off repeatedly...it should bleed?

Gunner

It's done several ways, and some also incorporate inertia switches in
the fuel pump power lead.

They all have a way to override this feature in order to quickly bleed
the system and do pressure/flow tests, but your not likely to have the
proper scan tool, jumper wires and/or whatever on the cold rainy night
you need to do a re start. The override procedure is in your shop manual.

Erik

PS, Also be aware that not all cars are equipped with fuel service
ports... in which case there is no Schrader valve to push.

Ok. Never saw one without..but then Im not a big car guy.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton