Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default Toyota gas pedal

"Bill McKee" writes:

"Erik" wrote in message

The trunk-mounted fuel pump, combined with the use of a regulator that
works by opening a bypass that lets fuel back to the tank, means you're
talking about a couple of seconds max if you just get in and start the
car without messing around with special procedures. You're not going to
burn out a starter motor or run down a battery.

You'd think so... but in the real world, it takes a good while. If you
just hop in and grind away, you'll grossly exceed the starters duty
cycle limits. It's rough on batteries too, and should the battery be
already partially discharged and/or it's very cold out, you may not get
it started.

Also keep in mind that system voltage is lower during starter operation,
and as a result fuel pump operation is handicapped to varying degrees...
further still slowing the fuel system bleed process.

Erik

The main problem is not the starter, but the fuel pumps. The high pressure
pump will fail shortly from running dry, and the one in the tank will fail
from being overheated.

Two pumps? Just checked, and this is absolutely not the case for my
Intrepid. One pump, in the tank. With lots of liquid around it to cool
it.

FSM calls for using a scan tool to pressurize the system; I'd have to go
out in the rain (yes, it looks like Seattle outside. Snarl) to see if
the owner's manual calls for anything special in the event of running
out of gas. I'd be really, really surprised.