Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default Toyota gas pedal

Erik writes:

(An item on my 'list' would be explaining how to restart a fuel injected
engine after it's been run out of fuel... without burning up the
starter, and running down the battery.

How do you do it? On most cars, after adding a little fuel, turn the key
to the 'run' position, wait about 4 seconds then turn it back off.
Repeat 50 or 60 times. Each cycle runs the pump 2 or 3 seconds without
grinding away on the starter. Long vehicles, like limos will require
more cycles.

And how do you do it with a vehicle equipped with a 'start button? I
don't have a clue... probably there is a way to run the fuel pump with a
scan tool or jumper wire, but who knows...)

The trunk-mounted fuel pump, combined with the use of a regulator that
works by opening a bypass that lets fuel back to the tank, means you're
talking about a couple of seconds max if you just get in and start the
car without messing around with special procedures. You're not going to
burn out a starter motor or run down a battery.