Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Default Taking apart a Mini-Maglite

Jim Yanik wrote:
tom wrote in :

zxcvbob wrote:
Patrick Cleburne wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel
room over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the
batteries leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion
doesn't look bad. The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and I
was able to knock the middle battery out by hitting the tailcap
with a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't budge. I don't see
any way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

The light is trashed. Saw it apart if you have to to identify the
brand of batteries. Then email a picture of the leaking batteries
along with a polite note to the mfr.

They'll buy you a new one-- though may require sending the mess to
them first...

That's a good idea. They are Duracells, dated "MAR 2013" (I got 2 of
them out, and the third one won't budge.) It's a $20-something
flashlight.
Bob
I've done that with a remote before. They didn't replace the remote
but sent me a check for about 80% of the remotes value.

Bummer;some remotes are difficult if not impossible to get after a few
years of ownership,and "universal" remotes don't work on many
functions,if at all.
(and how is the value determined???)

Once again,IMO,Duracells leak more often than other brands.
I don't use them anymore.

A couple months ago I discovered that some Walgreens batteries had
leaked in my 10 year old DVD remote and had trashed it. Fortunately my
Comcast cable remote has an Aux feature and the instructions even listed
the correct code and that's now also my DVD remote. Worked out fine and
I now have one less remote to juggle.