Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Taking apart a Mini-Maglite

zxcvbob wrote:

Patrick Cleburne wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel room
over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the batteries
leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion doesn't look
bad. The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and I was able to
knock the middle battery out by hitting the tailcap with a deadblow
hammer, but the last one won't budge. I don't see any way to take it
apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

The light is trashed. Saw it apart if you have to to identify the brand
of batteries. Then email a picture of the leaking batteries along with
a polite note to the mfr.

They'll buy you a new one-- though may require sending the mess to them
first...

That's a good idea. They are Duracells, dated "MAR 2013" (I got 2
of them out, and the third one won't budge.) It's a $20-something
flashlight.

Bob

There is an 800 number on the battery, just call that and they will give
you mailing instructions to send it in. It will end up costing you just
a couple $ in postage to get it repaired / replaced.