Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH Corrosion inhibitor for large system

In article ,
"Fredxx" writes:
Martin Pentreath wrote:
On 29 Nov, 13:37, "Vortex5"
wrote:

Question:

Are the cheaper inhibitors such as those sold by BES any cop? Are
they good value, or a false economy?

david

Subsidiary and related question: does anyone know what these
inhibitors are chemically? I've sometimes wondered whether I can buy
the active chemical itself direct from somewhere, not account of
having a 650 litre system, but on account of being tightfisted.

I'm sure a little googling would get you an answer, I got this
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_can_...thylene_glycol

I presume it's ok to use ethylene glycol in primary circuits of pottable
systems.

Ethylene glycol is anti-freeze, not inhibitor.

Don't normally need to use anti-freeze in primary circuits of
domestic heating systems, but even when required (e.g. for
circuits with outdoor pipe runs), ethylene glycol is not
permitted because it's toxic, and might leak into the
potable water if a heat exchanger leaks.

--
Andrew Gabriel