Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH Corrosion inhibitor for large system

I am about to take delivery of a 475 litre thermal store/heatbank, and once
installed at home the resulting system will have a total primary volume of
about 650 litres!

Have been considering the subject of corrosion inhibiter.

Fernox MB1 is widely available for 20 quid for 4 litres "sufficient for a
typical 100 litre system".

www.bes.co.uk sell a product called CURA at £3.20 to treat 100 litres.
There is another called PROTEX (I thought they made condoms) for £4.03
SENTINEL X100 is £13.21.

++++

I've used FERNOX for 25 years but do not fancy paying £100+ to inhibit my
system.

Question:

Are the cheaper inhibitors such as those sold by BES any cop? Are they good
value, or a false economy?

david

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Nov, 13:37, "Vortex5"
wrote:

Question:

Are the cheaper inhibitors such as those sold by BES any cop? *Are they good
value, or a false economy?

david

Subsidiary and related question: does anyone know what these
inhibitors are chemically? I've sometimes wondered whether I can buy
the active chemical itself direct from somewhere, not account of
having a 650 litre system, but on account of being tightfisted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:
On 29 Nov, 13:37, "Vortex5"
wrote:

Question:

Are the cheaper inhibitors such as those sold by BES any cop? Are
they good value, or a false economy?

david

Subsidiary and related question: does anyone know what these
inhibitors are chemically? I've sometimes wondered whether I can buy
the active chemical itself direct from somewhere, not account of
having a 650 litre system, but on account of being tightfisted.

I'm sure a little googling would get you an answer, I got this
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_can_...thylene_glycol

I presume it's ok to use ethylene glycol in primary circuits of pottable
systems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 14:22:35 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

I'm sure a little googling would get you an answer, I got this
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_can_...thylene_glycol

I presume it's ok to use ethylene glycol in primary circuits of pottable
systems.

Ethylene glycol is antifreeze, used in thermal solar systems to
prevent freezing. This isn't the same chemical used to inhibit
corrosion. That was mentioned in a recent thread in here, some
phosphate IIRC (doubtful...).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Fredxx" writes:
Martin Pentreath wrote:
On 29 Nov, 13:37, "Vortex5"
wrote:

Question:

Are the cheaper inhibitors such as those sold by BES any cop? Are
they good value, or a false economy?

david

Subsidiary and related question: does anyone know what these
inhibitors are chemically? I've sometimes wondered whether I can buy
the active chemical itself direct from somewhere, not account of
having a 650 litre system, but on account of being tightfisted.

I'm sure a little googling would get you an answer, I got this
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_can_...thylene_glycol

I presume it's ok to use ethylene glycol in primary circuits of pottable
systems.

Ethylene glycol is anti-freeze, not inhibitor.

Don't normally need to use anti-freeze in primary circuits of
domestic heating systems, but even when required (e.g. for
circuits with outdoor pipe runs), ethylene glycol is not
permitted because it's toxic, and might leak into the
potable water if a heat exchanger leaks.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 14:22:35 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

I'm sure a little googling would get you an answer, I got this
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_can_...thylene_glycol

I presume it's ok to use ethylene glycol in primary circuits of pottable
systems.

Ethylene glycol is antifreeze, used in thermal solar systems to
prevent freezing. This isn't the same chemical used to inhibit
corrosion. That was mentioned in a recent thread in here, some
phosphate IIRC (doubtful...).

The COSSH H&S pdfs on the Screwfix site list ingredients

Diammonium dimolydbate might not be that easy to source!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 13:37:11 +0000, Vortex5 wrote:

Are the cheaper inhibitors such as those sold by BES any cop? Are they
good value, or a false economy?

You *did* check the uk.d-i-y wiki before posting, didn't you?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...sion_Inhibitor

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Xenophobia? Sounds a bit foreign to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 13:37:11 +0000, Vortex5 wrote:

Are the cheaper inhibitors such as those sold by BES any cop? Are they
good value, or a false economy?

You *did* check the uk.d-i-y wiki before posting, didn't you?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...sion_Inhibitor

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Xenophobia? Sounds a bit foreign to me.

I did not. Thanks!

The Expression "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
YAPH writes:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 13:37:11 +0000, Vortex5 wrote:

Are the cheaper inhibitors such as those sold by BES any cop? Are they
good value, or a false economy?

You *did* check the uk.d-i-y wiki before posting, didn't you?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...sion_Inhibitor

Oh, that's good. It's Sentinel I use in my systems.
The X100 I recently drained out after 7 years in a sealed
system was still clear, although it had a strange smell.
(Wouldn't normally last that long, but system is very
well sealed, requiring almost no topping up.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Go for soft water at the start of your cold water system this will mean that the problem=
s are removed at the start rather than lower down the stream cost =C2=A3120 for say 50y=
ears and cheaper washing [less powder]

url:http://www.myreader.co.uk/msg/1391147410.aspx