Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Advice for moss and algae on asphalt roof shingles

Tony Sivori wrote:
tnom wrote:
[attributes restored]
Tony Sivori wrote:
So I took a chance, and sprayed a weed killer on it one afternoon when
heavy rain was forecast for that night. It looks to have killed about
90% of it. But since I don't know what that might have done to shorten
the life of the shingles, I don't recommend doing what I did.

I thought you were concerned with Eco-Friendly products? Or is it just a
concern when others use them?

I don't know where you got that idea, given that I've never posted my
position on that topic.

So many companies greenwash their product that the "green" or
"Environmentally friendly" tags have become meaningless advertising
fodder.

That said, I am substantially more concerned about environmental issues
than many of my peers and acquaintances.

There are things that were commonplace in the old days (say, 35 years ago)
that I would not consider doing today. A few examples: dumping used motor
oil into soil as fence line weed killer. Gasoline as parts wash, then
dumped on the fence line as weed killer. Venting freon to the atmosphere,
both to repeatedly refill leaking systems and for actual repair.

As far as necessary use of chemicals (and other goods), I want products
that work. If there are choices that are truly better for the biosphere,
and the purchase cost different is not too great, I will go with the "bio
friendly" option.

Careful, a reasonable opinion like that could get you kicked out of here.

--
aem sends....