J Pagona aka Y.B.

Default Topcote v. Boeshield v. Paste Wax v. Shellac - Da Winnah!

From: Tom Watson

I'll agree that Florida's air is usually juicier than Pennsyltucky air
but I wonder if the temperature of your equipment falls below the dew
point any more frequently than mine does here in my shop (that is in a
hollow, twenty feet from a stream).

My tools probably rarely fall below the dew point. That proximity to the
stream probably also has a significant impact. All things considered,
including the window shaker I run in the no-car-garage non-stop from March to
November, my shop conditions are probably better for preventing rust than
yours.

I've not tried
the Boeshield and wax treatment but might, if the shellac idea doesn't
pan out.

I happened upon it by chance. My table saw was a floor model, and the store
owner's wife gave it a coat of Boeshield right before I bought it. I gave it a
coat of wax a week or so after I got it home. About a year later, I was
reading a thread on the Wreck about preventing rust and it hit me, I hadn't
recoated my table saw in a year. My guess is that the Boeshield protects the
steel, and the wax keeps the Boeshield from being rubbed off.

David

remove the key to email me.