Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Toyota gas pedal

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:56:38 -0800, the infamous Jim Stewart
scrawled the following:

TwoGuns wrote:
Watching the CBS evening news this evening I have to wonder is every
one in the TV Broadcast business a CLUELESS ****ING IDIOT?

Four people died in an accident in a Toyota. The 911 call was played
on air. Evidently the throttle pedal had gotten caught under a floor
mat and the 911 caller was applying brakes but could not stop. The
Toyota with four people crashed at an intersection killing the
occupants. The 911 call lasted for several seconds and the dispatcher
did not tell the driver to put the car in NEUTRAL.

I've had the misfortune of calling 911 a few times
over the last 30 years. My experience is that the
dispatchers are rote trained to dispatch and nothing
else. It probably never entered the dispatcher's
mind to solve the problem if he/she had never been
trained to.

PUT THE ****ING TRANNY IN NEUTRAL and then apply brakes. Is that too
hard to comprehend? CBS should be sued for not telling their audience
the proper way to react to a situation like this.

No quarrel there. I think in most cars, a *hard*
*sustained* braking effort would probably also
work. Both feet on the pedal and don't let up
until it grinds to a stop.

And whatever you do, don't turn off the ignition to slow the car.
Even if they turn it too far and lock the steering, it's not nearly as
dangerous as WFO.

--
Q: How many climate scientists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None. There's a consensus that it's going to change, so they've
decided to keep us in the dark.