Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Should I move to Idaho?

"Eregon" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"Eregon" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"Eregon" wrote in message
Ignoramus17202 wrote in
:

On 2009-11-26, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus20054 wrote:

The gunsmiths who I have seen in Illinois were rather poor. (I
have seen two)

Comparing Texas to Illinois on guns is like comparing apples to
oranges. No FOID required in Texas.

Well, FOID is (or at least was) easy to get. $5 and a one page
application.

Are you confusing a CCW (license to carry a concealed weapon) with
a Firearm Owner IDentification document/permit/license?

Firearms Registration is an alien concept in Texas although,
occasionally, some insane Yankee idiot proposes it with the
announced aim of fattening the State coffers while actually setting
the stage for firearm confiscation and imprisonment of those folks
that were honest and dumb enough to actually register their
shootin' irons. (Whoever heard of a criminal stupid enough to
register HIS weapons?)

The Firearms Registration issue dates back to the so-called
"Reconstruction" period following the conclusion of The War of the
Northern Agression. During this period the true face of the New
England power brokers became hideously apparent with their
systematic oppression and blatant misuse of authority.

Texas, as with many of the other former members of the Confederacy,
has first-hand evidence of the institutionalized excesses of the
Federal Government, the power-hungry, and the New England-based
propaganda machines.

You're just sore because they took away your slaves. d8-)

Sorry to burst your bubble, Ed, but an exhaustive search has shown
that none of my forebears ever owned any slaves.

Texans had about 250,000 of them, though, during the Civil War. The
resentment tends to become part of the culture, even if you aren't
personally involved. Hell, they were still bitching about it in the
mid-'50s, when I lived in Maryland.

Some of them, however, were treated as such by the Yankee
Carpetbaggers that invaded Texas after the war.

It would have been a lot simpler if we just left Texas an independent
republic, blocking counterinvasions from Mexico for the next hundred
years. Then you could complain about Mexico instead of the United
States. d8-)

That'd be the best choice, all right. grin

BTW, Ed, when my forebears first came to Texas they became, first,
Spaniards and, later, Mexicans. It was only when General Santa Ana
abrogated the Mexican Constitution of 1824 that trouble erupted.

Wow, your family goes 'way back, then. Mine, too. They came from Plymouth,
England, and were farming rocks in New Hampshire from 1667. Some of them are
still farming there, and they're still plowing the same rocks.

Farming rocks made us all kind of grouchy.

--
Ed Huntress