Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
-[_3_] -[_3_] is offline

Default Stuck BOSS...

PeteC wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 19:56:17 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:43:19 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

I have a BOSS with the micrometer locknut stuck at the bottomed out
zero
position. So far Kroil has not released it, nor has considerable
torque
applied from channel locks via some 1/8" hard rubber to protect the
knurl.

Suggestions?
I cant remember if they are right or left handed threads. Have you
tried
both ways?
They are normal right hand type threads. The front brake / weight
section unscrews ok, just the back locknut is... er... locked at the
zero position. The instructions say to bottom it when setting the
calibration of the number ring, so it's certainly intended to be
bottomed out and not seize.

Firing lead bullets through it?
Er, not in my office. I have applied plenty of Kroil, as well as some
mild heat with a hair dryer.

We are talking about a BOSS barrel tuning device on the end of a rifle
barrel, right?

Yes, on a BAR mk2 Safari. It is metal, and this is rapidly becoming a
metalworking project to get it off. I may end up having to destroy the
locknut to get it off and order a new one. Browning is closed for the
holiday too

Bloody hell, sorry about all the duplicates, news server problems...