Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Scott Peter Scott is offline

Default Water meter

chris French wrote:
In message , Peter Johnson
writes
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 17:46:59 +0000, Peter Scott
wrote:

One last thought. If you have a largish house you are likely to want to
sell to a family with more than two people in it. Has anyone looked at
whether you get a lower price for a house with a meter? I'd want to
bargain over that if I was a buyer!

I sold my last house with the water meter and I don't remember the
buyers being that interested in it. It certainly didn't affect the
price. They are still in the house, have had two children since they
moved in and have spent money on it over the years so they seem to
have coped with the cost of the water.

Indeed.

We sold our last house with a meter and bought a another larger house
with a meter. I wasn't an issue.

Anyway, if anything, we'd probably have been even better off with the
meter after moving to the new house, since larger house would have had
presumably bigger water rates if not on a meter.

We had the meter installed in our old house. I was quite a lot cheaper
(can't remember figures anymore). Even when we had 2 kids I still reckon
it was a fair bit cheaper than the water rates would have been.

The consumption in the new house is pretty much the same as the old one.

yes that's a fair point about the rateable value. Perhaps I should look
into it? I might be going onto mains drainage soon. If Anglian Water get
it sorted. At present I only pay a modest amount for unlimited water.