J Pagona aka Y.B.

Default Topcote v. Boeshield v. Paste Wax v. Shellac - Da Winnah!

While I'm interested in hearing how the shellac works long term, I'll put in my
own two cents on what works for me hear in humid, damp, wet Florida. I use a
coat of Boeshield, and once it dries, I cover it with a coat of wax. I do this
only once a year, give or take 3 or 4 months. This has kept my tools virtually
rust free for the last 5 years (absent any really stupid moves on my part like
leaving a piece of green oak on the bandsaw table). I do have to admit that my
tools probably don't see quite as much use as Tom's tablesaw.

BTW, Tom, plenty of neanders use wax on the bottom of their metal planes to cut
down on the friction when in use, and I have never heard of it interfering with
a finish. No scientific study, just a casual observation.
David

remove the key to email me.