Tom Watson

Default Topcote v. Boeshield v. Paste Wax v. Shellac - Da Winnah!

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 05:32:45 GMT, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:

I have bought a couple of used machines that the tables looked impeccable
on, only on closer inspection to find that they have been sprayed with clear
lacquer. These have all been big industrial machines from factories. My 20"
Wadkin bandsaw table (130lb+) was clearcoated, I only discovered this when I
scratched it. I wonder why more people don't simply clearcoat?

Yep. The only reason I didn't use lacquer was that I didn't want to
have to use lacquer thinner to strip it if it got messed up.

(also, the shellacky is supposed to provide a better vapor barrier
than lacquer, from what I've read.)

I hope this works. It would save me a lot of time.

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson