Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default Shipping Charges

On Nov 22, 10:26*am, Swingman wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
Yeah, those new guys just don't know what efficiency is or how to milk
a Civil Service job, do they? *I had to ask mine to kindly finish
closing the box after he's done putting mail it it, especially during
the rainy days. I got two days of soggy mail in one week and then
wrote the letter. He's one of the new guys, and it appears that our
outlying area is one of the training or penalty routes. We get a whole
lot of new faces driving the route each year, sometimes each month.
sigh

Manifestation of the dumbing down of America through education can often
be observed first at the USPS, where even that paltry bit of education
is beyond the available intelligence.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I dunno. I sometimes think it's how far into an urban area you live,
or how close. We're rural. Our mail carrier retired two or three years
ago, after about 35 years on the job. She lived three miles up the
road and had the route arranged so she delivered all 300+ road boxes
in time to get home and make a late lunch. She was never late, never
lost mail, unfailingly helped out with mail problems, etc.

Our new carrier took about a year to set the route up to her needs,
but she is still far from making it home for a late lunch. Still, in
her short time, she's gone from delivering our mail at anywhere from 2
p.m. to 3:30 p.m. to getting it here by 1:45 a.m. most days. She also
has never lost a letter or package, drives larger stuff down to our
door instead of dropping it under the box, and is generally excellent
and improving. She is afraid of dogs. The first time I opened the door
and mutt came scampering out, it terrified her. Our mutt is a terrier-
dachshund that is about 9" tall and weighs 17 fairly pudgy pounds. She
also is the world's friendliest dog, which is rough on people afraid
of dogs--she runs up to them wagging her tail and wiggling in
anticipation of a new person to sniff.

Sometimes I think a lot of it has to do with localized work ethics.
We're fortunate.