Larry Jaques

Default Topcote v. Boeshield v. Paste Wax v. Shellac - Da Winnah!

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 21:32:28 GMT, Tom Watson
brought forth from the murky depths:

Some time back I posted some stuff about using a light bulb inside of
machine cabinets to keep away rust.

It was an act of desperation.

Since that sucked, I decided to try other things.

In the past I've used paste wax (three coats and a buff), Topcote,and
Boeshield. None of them were really satisfactory.

3 coats of wax is prolly 2 too many. The next coat dissolves the
first, so you really only have one coat on there.

The problem is that they wear off too quickly and leave the cast iron
open to rusting.

My tools, with ALL THEIR USE (?) have shown little rust over the
past year since I waxed 'em.

coats of three pound cut shellac onto the jointah and the bandsaur
(didn't buff - just de-nibbed wif 4/0 steel wool).

Bzzzzt! Denibbing wears the shellac off any bumps, effectively leaving
no finish on those areas. They might rust.

Well, the results are in. The shaper (wax) is showing a good deal of
rust in the area around the opening that the cutters project through.

See? ITYS!

Maybe you should just wax things every month or two?
Or shellac now and wax monthly?

CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development