Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Two phases to house - loss of neutral

Sylvia Else wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines,
two phases plus neutral.

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral
line. It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two
phases across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase,
and the other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in
series as a result of their common connection to the neutral wire.
Since the two sets are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net
result would be a large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

Any thoughts?

**Not an issue, due to the MEN system used in AUSTRALIA.
Cross-posting to an international group will guarantee a bunch of
useless comments. Pay attention to Australian posters only.

Your electrician is correct.

From the replies, the same system applies in the US. But people have
still had problems.

**AFAIK, the US system is fundamentally different to ours.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au