Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Al Al is offline

Default BGA Rework Setup

On Nov 22, 3:48*pm, "Michael Kennedy" wrote:
"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:40:42 -0000, "N_Cook"
wrote:

I just tried some 0.4mm diam nichrome wire under an Intel BGA, but yes it
would probably need following up with some Kaptan or PTFE sheet slid in
after.

Let me guess... as the wire went past a ball of solder, it melted the
solder, but was hot enough to resolder itself as the wire went past?
If that's true, a non-solderable follower will certainly cure that
problem.

You didn't answer my question. *Are you trying to repair a motherboard
BGA chip (i.e. reflow), or are you trying to remove the BGA chip for
replacment? *These are quite different.

--

He is trying to remove the chip. He said he said ti needed to be followed
with a PTFE sheet (i.e. Non solderable follower) *And in his first post he

FWIW I think I am leaning towards the Hakko solution, but I have got
someone to lend me a cheap chinese IR machine with preheater so I can
experiment and learn to know what to look for in a more expensive
setup before I go there.

-Al