Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Replace doorbell

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 08:06:29 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Am about to replace hideous doorbell. AFAIK, I just have to unscrew
tthe old one and attach the new one to the wires.
BUT - how do I know which "breaker" as they used to call them,
controls the doorbell? I looked in my switch box, where I have
everything labeled, but did not see "doorbell". It rings in the
kitchen. Anybody hazard a guess where it might be connected?

Jumper the switch and then flip breakers until the noise stops.

Most doorbells I have worked on, that won't work. Energize the circuit,
and it rings once. The hammer in the doorbell doesn't retract until the
current stops. It would work for a simple buzzer, though.

If you have that kind, you could turn breakers off one at a time until
you hear the "dong".

Or you could connect a buzzer for this purpose.

BTW, A neighbor had a problem in that she couldn't tell the difference
between "ding dong" for the front door and "ding" for the back door
(or the "ding ding" that happens with over-excited button pushers). I
added a buzzer across the front door solenoid. The only buzzer I had
at the time was a DC pulsating buzzer. After adding the rectifier and
capacitor, she had a unique doorbell. It sounds the same for the back
door, but for the front you hear "ding dong" along with a
non-confusable "BEEP-BEEP-beep-beep-bip-bip". That house has been sold
twice since then and that thing is still there.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster