Tom Watson

Default Topcote v. Boeshield v. Paste Wax v. Shellac - Da Winnah!

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:10:54 GMT, "Rob Stokes"
wrote:

Well now that's an interesting experiment, with interesting results. I'm
curious how you fond the "action" of wood across the surface with the
shellac and I'm curious as to how it will wear...I'd love to hear a running
commentary on the results as time progress' Tom.

As they say 'round these parts,the action is, "slickernsnot", and is
comparable to the buffed wax. As to the wear; I'll know better when I
start using it on the Unisaur and the shaper.

I should have mentioned that I was using a Dewaxed Extra Pale shellac
from Homestead Finishing. I don't know that the Extra Pale has much
to do with it but the Dewaxed is thought to provide a better
moisture/vapor barrier than its waxier brethren.

I'm excited by the shellac idea because I know that it will not
introduce negative chemistry into the wood, which is worrisome to me
regarding the Boeshield and Topcote (and a bit with the wax).

I was concerned that the shellac would tend to tear or flake off under
abrasion and pressure but that has not proven to be the case with the
Jointah - the Bandsaur doesn't provide much of a test in that regard.

I like the early results enough to begin using the shellac on all of
my cast iron and see how that plays out.

If there are significant results - I'll be sure to post them.

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson