Posted to alt.home.repair
JayB JayB is offline

Default Replace doorbell

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in message
el...

"JayB" wrote in message
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in message

Wouldn't worry about where it is connected...It's DC ...I've used a
lot stronger DC voltage while being underwater...no worries...I'v
replaced my doorbell hot outside in the rain... Hell i'd sit in my hot
tub touching both wires at the same time.. Been a rig welder of thirty
years welding with DC out on a pipeline in the rain... a doorbell???
sheesh...just wire it... Jim

Why would it be DC instead of AC? Hardwired doorbells usually have a
step-down transformer that changes higher voltage AC to low voltage AC,
but there is no rectifier that changes the AC to DC.

No Jay... to convert AC to DC would require a rectifier...to convert DC
to AC requires a converter... Jim

I think that's what I said -- that there is no rectifier in the doorbell
system to change the house AC to DC for the doorbell. So, the doorbell
operates on AC, not DC.

You wrote that the OP shouldn't worry because "It's DC". I was just
pointing out that it is not DC that is powering the doorbell.