Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace doorbell

On 11/21/2009 4:40 PM Jim spake thus:

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

Am about to replace hideous doorbell. AFAIK, I just have to unscrew
tthe old one and attach the new one to the wires.
BUT - how do I know which "breaker" as they used to call them,
controls the doorbell? I looked in my switch box, where I have
everything labeled, but did not see "doorbell". It rings in the
kitchen. Anybody hazard a guess where it might be connected?

Wouldn't worry about where it is connected...It's DC ...I've used a
lot stronger DC voltage while being underwater...no worries...I'v
replaced my doorbell hot outside in the rain... Hell i'd sit in my
hot tub

touching both
wires at the same time.. Been a rig welder of thirty years welding

with DC
out on a pipeline in the rain... a doorbell??? sheesh...just wire

it... Jim

Doorbells operate on AC, not DC.

And regarding the further conversation regarding conversion, etc., the
only conversion going on is the stepping-down to low voltage AC by the
transformer. (AC-- AC) No rectifiers used here.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet