Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Replace doorbell

On Nov 21, 4:10*pm, "JayB" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

Am about to replace hideous doorbell. *AFAIK, I just have to unscrew
tthe old one and attach the new one to the wires.
BUT - how do I know which "breaker" as they used to call them,
controls the doorbell? *I looked in my switch box, where I have
everything labeled, but did not see "doorbell". *It rings in the
kitchen. *Anybody hazard a guess where it might be connected?

If you do the work in the daytime, you can switch off all of the individual
circuit breakers and leave them off, and then switch off the main breaker..
That will cut off the power to everything in the house, and you can do the
work using daylight to see what you are doing (or use a flashlight, if
needed). *When turning the power back on, do the reverse -- switch the main
breaker back on first while all of the individual breakers are off, then
switch each of the individual breakers back on one at a time until they are
all switched back on.

Yes, of course -- that is the "cowardly" G way out. I just didn't
want to go
around resetting a houseful of clocks and appliances.

Or, you can do what others have suggested -- just do it while the power is
still on. *If you are nervous about doing that, just do it carefully, one
wire at a time. *You can even use pliers, wire cutters, and/or a screw
driver that have insulated handles so your hands are not touching metal when
doing the work. *It's a low voltage circuit, so it should be no problem even
if you do accidentally touch something. *Plus, the doorbell switch itself is
a switch that should keep any power from going to the actual bell unless the
doorbell switch is pressed (assuming it is wired correctly).

Will mull over all the good advice. I realize this to you-all is a
trivial job,
so I much appreciate the un-condescending attitudes of
kind posters.