Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace doorbell

On 11/21/2009 11:51 AM Higgs Boson spake thus:

Am about to replace hideous doorbell. AFAIK, I just have to unscrew
tthe old one and attach the new one to the wires.
BUT - how do I know which "breaker" as they used to call them,

Still do.

controls the doorbell? I looked in my switch box, where I have
everything labeled, but did not see "doorbell". It rings in the
kitchen. Anybody hazard a guess where it might be connected?

Could be on any breaker; no official rule for where to put a doorbell.

Probably several ways to skin this cat. One would be to put a voltmeter
on the transformer (that's the thing that supplies low voltage
power--typically 16-24 volts--to the actual doorbell) and flip breakers
until it goes to zero volts (assuming the transformer works). Probably
the safest way; that secondary (low-voltage) side of the transformer
isn't going to hurt you if you get shocked by it.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet