Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default BGA Rework Setup

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 22:52:53 -0800 (PST), Al
wrote:

I am looking to setup a BGA rework station (including reballing chip).

All you need is a propane torch, heat gun, IR thermometer, some
aluminum foil to protect the plastic, and substantial nerve. I've
done about 20 assorted laptops this way with about 50% success rate.
Not great but certainly economical.

2. Havnt got a link but I have been told that I can get away with a
preheater, SMD hot air gun, 20x microscope.

Propane torch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oVxGGPdkbc

Heat gun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR8L3B3eDr0

Alcohol lamp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zclj4waulAQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb9NRBLQVP4

Overkill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpywTfVB52g

If your really good I guess this might work.

I'm really bad and evil, but if I'm good, maybe Santa Claus will buy
me a new laptop instead of having to repair broken laptops.

But I am not an
experienced solder'r and I think I would prob end up cooking the
chips.

Look at the people in the above videos. Do they look like qualified
service techs? Learn By Destroying(tm). Like everything else, this
takes practice and control. Even with $1500 worth of equipment,
you're going to destroy some boards before you get it right.

There's also a big difference between BGA rework and what a hot air
soldering station is used for. With the torch method, you're only
interested in reflowing the solder. With the soldering station,
you're interested in removing the chip and replacing it with a new
chip.

Good DIY back yard solution. Might get it up and running for
$600 USD

About $10 for the torch, or $25 for the heat gun.

Any positive tips greatfully rec'd.

Some things I learned the hard way:
1. Don't push on the chips when they're hot. They'll move no matter
how steady you think your hands are.
2. Don't push on the chips with your bare fingers even if you think
the chip has cooled down. I have the blisters to prove that this is a
bad idea.
3. Slopping some liquid flux under the chips before reflowing makes a
huge cloud of concentrated smog and noxious fumes. If you wrap the
board in foil, there's less smog, but it still smells awful.
4. Do this with the board and chip horizontal. If vertical, the BGA
will fall off when the solder melts (oops).
5. Anything worth doing is also worth overdoing. However, that
doesn't work for dinner or BGA reflow. If you smell something buring,
it's either your dinner or your motherboard.
6. Plastic melts at a much lower temperature than solder. Do
something to protect the platic parts.
7. Let the chip and board warm up slowly, and cool down VERY slowly.
If you try to go to fast, you'll get a cold solder connection, warped
board, or both.

I know these guys make great irons, and this setup is a peicemeal
approach to BGA rework station in that all the components can be
brought seperately. Hakko is unforuntaly pricey.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS