Posted to rec.woodworking
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Shipping Charges

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article
201120091915185610%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca, Dave
Balderstone wrote:
In article ,
Gerald Ross
wrote:

Have you noticed that most of the woodworking supply companies
have
quietly changed over to shipping charges being based on how
much you
pay for rather than how much it weighs. This used to be a
hallmark of
bottom feeders such as JC Whitney and Harbor Freight.

I first really noticed it when I ordered a couple of small
gifts for
my grandson from Lee Valley. Shipping was $11.50. The order
weighed 14
oz including packaging.

I live out in the hinterland and everything comes by FedEx or
UPS.
Even the nearest Lowe's is 40 miles away. This really hurts.

Can you drive 80 miles for $11.50?

Easily. Hell, I can manage that in my old truck -- 85 Dodge, 360
4bbl, about
17mpg on the highway -- and most cars will do far better. At the
rate I paid
last time I filled up, $11.50 is 4.75 gallons, which will take
my Saturn SL2
considerably farther than 80 miles. Like more than *twice* that.

Of course, that disregards the value of my *time* to drive 80
miles...

Good truck: I had an '85 Dually with the same engine and 4-speed.
Wow, was it stable on the road.

--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs