Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus30503 Ignoramus30503 is offline

Default Bombs in our elementary school

On 2009-11-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Bruce L. Bergman fired this volley in
:

There are several ways to make a satisfying yet benign BOOM!, some
as simple as filling a PETE soda bottle with dry ice chips and
screwing the cap on tight. When the CO2 sublimates to a liquid or gas
(depending on the temperature and pressure, it gets complex) it
eventually exceeds the pressure capacity of the plastic bottle and
ruptures with a Bang.

In our Nanny State, in almost every juridiction, what you just described
is defined as a "destructive device", right there in killing potential
with a pound of C4 in a steel pipe.

Certainly, a soda bottle pressurized to 90-120 psi could hurt you if you
were holding it when it went off. But it's NOT a bomb.

Sadly, our law enforcement people are so completely unable to understand
anything technical, that they've adopted the position, "If it makes a
loud noise, it's a deadly bomb."

Just about anywhere you can name, making "bottle poppers" is a felony.

Lloyd, can you clarify this. I actually wanted to make one (with dry
ice) as a science lesson to kids. But, clearly I would not do it if I
risked prison time.