Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default Bombs in our elementary school

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:39:48 -0600, Ignoramus30503
wrote:

Funny dispatch from our school district, I get these because my 8 year
old goes to this school.

Dear Lisle District 202 Families:

This morning, I was informed by the Lisle Police that at approximately
9:00 P.M. Tuesday evening the Lisle Police were dispatched to the area
around Lisle Junior High for a loud noise complaint. Upon arrival, the
responding officer could hear loud explosions coming from the
Schiesher Elementary parking lot. Once at the school, the responding
officers located plastic bottles that were turned into homemade bombs
with household cleaning products. Officers searched the area and
recovered 12 of these devices. All but one device had detonated.

The matter remains under investigation and we will continue to monitor
our facilities and supervise school grounds.

If you have any information regarding this matter, please contact the
Lisle Police Department at 911 immediately. If you have any further
questions, please contact your building administrator.

As always, the safety of your children is our first priority.

Sincerely,

Patricia A. Wernet, Ed.D
Superintendent

Some kid got hold of a copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook or the like,
and had to play around. But when the playing is done at the local
school grounds, you draw a lot of unwanted attention...

There are several ways to make a satisfying yet benign BOOM!, some
as simple as filling a PETE soda bottle with dry ice chips and
screwing the cap on tight. When the CO2 sublimates to a liquid or gas
(depending on the temperature and pressure, it gets complex) it
eventually exceeds the pressure capacity of the plastic bottle and
ruptures with a Bang.

There are even more ways to make a potentially deadly bomb the same
way, and let's hope the kid doesn't graduate to them.

-- Bruce --