Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Parts washer solvent options (and then disposal of used solvent)

Randy wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:04:48 -0800 (PST), wrote:

As a hobbiest, I do not have the same option such as a service that
changes out the parts washer solvent. I have a 20 gal parts washer
with with a electric pump and sprayer. In the past I have used paint
thinner as the solvent. A local paint supply store sold the thinner
in bulk (at $2/gal, the price was right) and the evaporation was not
too fast. Now I have to buy the paint thinner at retail.

At the other end, disposing of the dirty solvent poses a problem for
me. Lately, I have been thinking that if my solvent were say
kerosene or diesel (an oil) maybe I could dispose of the dirty solvent
with the used oil that my local autoparts accept for free. I do not
want to be the person that "contaminates" the used oil bin.

I have also been thinking of adding an engine oil filter between the
pump and the sprayer, not sure that the pump has enough power to push
the solvent thru a filter. If it works, I might not need to change
the solvent for many years.

My primary parts cleaner is a 55-gallon drum. It has a false floor about
12 inches down. Another 12 inches down is the pump.
I use kerosene or diesel oil.
The bottom 10-12" is water. The idea is that the heavier particles
settle into the water and keeps the solvent cleaner. Seems to work.

As far as I know the water/soap types must be heated to work well.

If you have one of the Chinese units with a flat bottom, a magnetic
engine heater is perfect for that.