Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Making a box joint jig

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 02:29:13 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

Hoosierpopi wrote:
Morris wrote:
This drawing should be reasonably self-explanitory, but I'm already
planning to turn it into a web page with a bit of text to provide a bit
of explanation with each drawing.

Not for me Morris. Not by a long shot. I like your stuff as a rule and
value your contributions here and elsewhere. But I could not make
heads nor tails (no pun intended) out of those "drawings."

Lemme know when you do do the web page you do do so well.

Ok - there's a (rough draft) web page at

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/LapJointJig/

I can't help feeling that people are looking (insisting?) on a lot more
complexity than there really is.

The whole point of the jig is spelled out in the paragraph just above
Fig. 7 - but please start at the top and work your way down to that point.

If anyone gets lost, please let me know _where_ the page stopped making
sense.

Better. Need more info. Consider 3-D drawings for clarity, eh?

Now reference the friggin' fence or crosscut sled, please. It's
supposed to be at the bottom of the pic, right? (Your whole op is
done in mid-air as shown.) Maybe some elevation pics would help, too.

Sample piece: 1", 9", or 48' x ? Rereading it, is the sample piece
supposed to be the width of the final joint?

You say "Rotate the jig 180 degrees." Oh, so piece 'C' is the entire
jig? OK. Maybe show the jig at the top of the page and then describe
how it's made and how it's used?

Reference to normal blade crosscut height and stock height is
confusing.

Also, WTF is a "lap joint" to you? http://fwd4.me/4WP

Show sample output from this jig on the page, please.

Wait, is the area between the pink kerf/blade and the red kerf/blade
supposed to be a half-lap cutout? We're looking down onto the
tablesaw top from above, right?

P.S: I'm a guy who, usually, can take one look at a complex exploded
drawing and know both what the item does and easily figure out how to
build one for myself. Spatial relationships are no problem for me. I
can't seem to do that/figure those from any of your drawings, Morris.
sigh

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.