Posted to rec.woodworking
diggerop diggerop is offline

Default Making a box joint jig

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:16:38 -0500, the infamous Greg
scrawled the following:

Morris Dovey said:

Greg G. wrote:

I think Morris is playing around with "kerf width" jigs.
Parts A(x) are used solely as kerf width "standards" to set the
distance of the pin registration hole of the jig.

Bingo!

Ooh! I got one right for a change.

Somewhere between. I originally wanted to make lap joints larger than
the KM-1 (I have one on order) can handle, but I was impressed with the
simplicity of its principle of operation. When I watched the Bridge City
video, my reaction was "Of course! Why haven't I been doing that?".

Mine was "Why haven't I built that?"

As discussed previously, I have a wobble dado blade and I'm too cheap to
spend for a real stacked dado set - and I picked up on the "kerf width"
paradigm.
It's not exactly nirvana, but it comes close because it's quick and easy
to make, wonderfully thrifty, and awesomely accurate.

By virtue of it generating it's own references, accuracy is a given.
But no dado stack? Morris... Tsk,Tsk... ;-)
Just think of what you're missing: flat bottomed grooves with clean
edges; no finagling with that wobble width adjustment; respect from
your fellow wooddorkers who pried open their wallets and bought a
stack of carbide tipped blades and shims in a fancy box. And please
tell me it's not a Craftsman from 1962... You surely are a determined
individual. ;-)

He's also certifiable. The poor, confused lad just used the terms
"wobble dado" and "satisfyingly precise joints" in the very same
sentence! I guess he's...just not finicky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hyo1...eature=related

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

You tube .......... okaaaay .......... it's a cat ......... catfood
............ watching video .......musta missed it ......... watch it again
........ nope ........ WTF did he post that fo......... oh. I see.
Got me you mongrel ; )

diggerop