Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slightly OT - Wheely bin compactors

R wrote:
"Tim W" wrote in message
Ah - the joys of crap councils...

Having been used to a council that takes anything papery and
cardboardy in the paper bin (even food wrappings), anything
plasticky (even food wraps) in the plastic bin (+ cans) and food
waste, including meat, in the garden bin - I discover the joys of
Rother Council: Little bin 1: Types 1,2 + 3 plastics (most drinks bottles
but not
many cartons, eg yoghurt which are mostly Type 6 for me) + cans (but
no jar lids)

Little bin 2: white paper. Literally. No card and even the plastic
windows of envelopes must be removed.

Garden bin: no peelings (WTF?!), definitely no food waste.

And to boot, the random bin is only 180l instead of 240l for a
fortnightly collection.

No local drops for cardboard. Station car park takes glass (good),
but the same paper and plastics as my own bins (the point of that
being?...) and no
cardboard...

Rather than fight such pathetic uselessness head on[1], I gave up
and got one of these:

http://www.trashbasher.co.uk/

(No connection etc, can be got cheaper at many places).

Seems to work very well. Being DIY, I should have made my own, but
without a
welder or a heavy tube bender, it would be hard to make something so
simple
and elegant.

Problem solved...

[1] This will be remembered at the next local elections and used to
beat candidates over the head with...

I'll get rid of the paper bin and garden bins next. Poor paper bin
only has
2 envelopes in the bottom. And I'll have composting up and running
soon so that will take a lot of kitchen waste... Cardboard will
probably be kept as
fire lighting material.

Our lot (Dartford) have 3 bins.
Green....General crap.
Grey.... Paper, Card, tins, etc etc
Black (Smallest at 20l !) Bottles and NO tin lids.

Just next door in Medway we have black sacks for general rubbish, collected
weekly, blue sacks for recycling tins, cardboard, bottles etc, collected
fortnightly & 1 brown bin for garden waste, collected alternate fortnights.

Green.....Refuse truck.
Grey and black in same "Enviro" truck.

Black sacks - refuse truck, blue sacks & brown bin, same truck, different
weeks.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk