Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Extending multiple BX cables: with multiple bx cables or multiplewires in greenfield?

N8N wrote:
On Nov 13, 7:42 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
I've posted on aspects of this before, and d-day is coming.
The situation is this:
A fuse panel upstairs is being eliminated, and the #14 bx cable extended
down about 10-15 feet to a new surface mounted breaker panel downstairs.
Thirteen separate bx cables, 7 of which are 3 wire (Edison), for a total
of 20 circuits.
Should I extend each bx cable with its own extension bx (or romex), or get
one or two 3/4-1" greenfield cables with sufficient #14 conductors pulled
through?
I'm leaning toward the greenfield, as it's just neater, less bulky, fewer
knock-out connections, and I believe a lot more economical.
Opinions? Pros/cons of either strategy?

*I'd go with 3- 3/4" or 2-1" flexible conduits since you will have a total
of 33 conductors plus a grounding conductor in each conduit. Using the
conduits will make it easy to pull additional circuits in the future if
needed. Single conductor wire is cheaper than BX cable.

Check tables C.3, 310.15(B)(2)(a) and 310.16 for more information.-

in that scenario would you really need individual grounds? I'm
thinking that you'd have one large grounding conductor between the
panel and the trough and have a terminal strip in the trough to land
all your existing "field" grounds. Is there some reason why that
wouldn't work?

For multiple circuits in one conduit you only need one ground wire for
each conduit (where the conduit can not be used as the grounding
conductor). The ground wire is sized for the maximum circuit breaker amp
rating for any circuit (#14 for 15A) (NEC250.122). If circuit conductors
are increased (such as to limit voltage drop) the size of the ground
wire must also be increased.

--
bud--