Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Slightly OT - Wheely bin compactors

pete
wibbled on Friday 13 November 2009 13:19

Yes it *looks* like a good idea (though I don't believe the marketing
"advantages" it claims: stop small animals foraging? nah, they can't jump
that high - or open the lid).

Yes - that's marketing ********. Although it does stop the fox raking the
bones out of the bags to the side of the bin that I hd yesterday, now
happily squished in.

However, it does look as it puts a lot of
strain on the pivot point: the two plastic handles used to up-end the bin.

It's not too bad actually. It's only a 2x mechanical advantage and those
pivots are pretty solid.

I was contemplating all sorts of things like a 3x3" timber frame round the
bin and bottle jack+plate[1] between the frame and the rubbish. In the end
I thought I'd google on the basis that someone must make something...

[1] The problem is that the compressive force needed to squish some air out
of a few bits of loose rubbish isn't very high but the stroke distance is,
which is the opposite to what a bottle jack is optimised for.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...