Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Extending multiple BX cables: with multiple bx cables or multiplewires in greenfield?

On Nov 13, 8:30*am, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"John Grabowski" wrote in message

I've posted on aspects of this before, and d-day is coming.

The situation is this:
* A fuse panel upstairs is being eliminated, and the #14 bx cable
extended down about 10-15 feet to a new surface mounted breaker panel
downstairs. Thirteen separate bx cables, 7 of which are 3 wire (Edison),
for a total of 20 circuits.

Should I extend each bx cable with its own extension bx (or romex), or
get one or two 3/4-1" greenfield cables with sufficient #14 conductors
pulled through?

I'm leaning toward the greenfield, as it's just neater, less bulky, fewer
knock-out connections, and I believe a lot more economical.

Opinions? *Pros/cons of either strategy?

*I'd go with 3- 3/4" or 2-1" flexible conduits since you will have a total
of 33 conductors plus a grounding conductor in each conduit. *Using the
conduits will make it easy to pull additional circuits in the future if
needed. *Single conductor wire is cheaper than BX cable.

Check tables C.3, *310.15(B)(2)(a) and 310.16 for more information.

Yeah, this is how I'm leaning.
"Flexible conduit" is what I'm calling Greenfield, right?

They make an aluminum and a steel greenfield, and also sell bx cable with
aluminum armour as "MC lite", iiuc.

Does steel greenfield require a ground wire? *I assume the aluminum version
does.
--
EA

I ASSume the steel version does as well, I bought some premade fixture
whips a while back and they had ground wires in them despite being
basically steel Greenfield.

Now the really really old BX in my house, that just has a bonding
strip inside the armor, no ground conductor, but that also has cloth
covered wiring in it...

There are a couple locations where I'm really really tempted to try to
use the two old wires to pull two plus ground new THHN through the BX
armor, because it would save SO much work rewiring. However, I don't
have a "plan B" if things go wrong...

nate