Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Slightly OT - Wheely bin compactors

"Tim W" wrote in message
Ah - the joys of crap councils...

Having been used to a council that takes anything papery and cardboardy in
the paper bin (even food wrappings), anything plasticky (even food wraps)
in the plastic bin (+ cans) and food waste, including meat, in the garden
bin - I discover the joys of Rother Council:

Little bin 1: Types 1,2 + 3 plastics (most drinks bottles but not many
cartons, eg yoghurt which are mostly Type 6 for me) + cans (but no jar
lids)

Little bin 2: white paper. Literally. No card and even the plastic windows
of envelopes must be removed.

Garden bin: no peelings (WTF?!), definitely no food waste.

And to boot, the random bin is only 180l instead of 240l for a fortnightly
collection.

No local drops for cardboard. Station car park takes glass (good), but the
same paper and plastics as my own bins (the point of that being?...) and
no
cardboard...

Rather than fight such pathetic uselessness head on[1], I gave up and got
one of these:

http://www.trashbasher.co.uk/

(No connection etc, can be got cheaper at many places).

Seems to work very well. Being DIY, I should have made my own, but without
welder or a heavy tube bender, it would be hard to make something so
simple
and elegant.

Problem solved...

[1] This will be remembered at the next local elections and used to beat
candidates over the head with...

I'll get rid of the paper bin and garden bins next. Poor paper bin only
has
2 envelopes in the bottom. And I'll have composting up and running soon so
that will take a lot of kitchen waste... Cardboard will probably be kept
as
fire lighting material.

--
Tim Watts

The recycle bins are a nightmare.

We get

Grey - general rubbish
Brown - Glass, aluminium and steel
Blue - Paper (newspapers fine but no telephone directories)
Green - Grass/hedge cuttings etc and cardboard. But no cardboard that has
had contact with food and no shiney cardboard and only thin cardboard.

However I frequently work in at least 6 other different council areas and
they all have different ideas as to what can go in their different coloured
bins.

When a friend had the wheelie bin police stick a note through his letterbox
saying the cardboard he had put in his green bin was too thick he asked the
council to redo the note on a piece of cardboard that was the maximum
thickness allowed. No response yet from the council.

Adam