Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping Larry Jaques

Larry -

I was doing web designs on Sun 3 and Sun 4 boxes a long long time ago.
Internally before the WorldWideWeb was shortened to WWW and other names.

Mosaic was the first 'Netscape' long before the other browsers and companies.

Tiff was one of the primary formats a number of others - now mostly obscure.

The web for me started in 1987 when I downloaded (via our FTP server)
from CERN the install files for Mosaic. Two of us were tasked to get a
division up and going. I did practical pages and collected graphics.

I still have and use TIFF / TIF format - my camera generates TIF and JPG
at the same time. And Jpg only.

Martin

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:47:25 -0600, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrawled the following:

And what the ?x? - where is Tiff/Tif quality format.

The web started with Tiff and gif and a few more on unix.
Tiff holds all of the data - more than the crappy views on some sites.

Problem with new formats - who has an editor - a graphics program for them -
oh Microsoft only...

Huh? That's news to me, Martin. It's always been GIF and JPG. TIF
wasn't an available format on the Net until, hmmm, when? I didn't get
the browser addon until 2006.
Alternatiff didn't release until 2003.

TIFF was used exclusively by the graphics gurus because it was a very
high-resolution, large-format design. That's absolutely contrary to
the Net.

'Course, I'm a newbie, not having started designing websites until
1995 or so. Back then, GIF was pretty much the only game in town.

Got cites for widespread use of TIF on the Net in the last century?
(I'm from Missouri, maam. Show me!)