Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default Hum but no motion

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:16:17 -0500, Gerald Miller
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:14:58 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

"Bill Noble" wrote in
:

agree - wood dust from your lathe and sanding - you could try
compressed air to blow the dust out first, that might work - if it
doesn't, take it apart and burnish the contacts with 600 paper and
reassemble. Also make sure the centrifugal mechanism that actuates it
moves freely.

If it happens again, spin grinder fast by hand and turn on, it will
probably then just spin up to speed.

It's been so long I can't remember where it was, but someplace I
frequented (friends shop?) had a grinder like this. You got used to
giving the wheel a flick before hitting the switch, and off it went.
Fixing it properly had been on his "to do" list for years, but the time
it took to flick it into motion seemed so trivial compared to the time to
tear it down & fix it that the owner never bothered. It's probably still
like that if he's still around.

Doug White

Similar to a friend's printing press - flip the switch and roll the
big flywheel. I seriously doubt that the little 1/4 HP washing machine
motor could have got that thing rolling from dead stop even with the
start winding helping!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I think you just answered your own question - The little motor
couldn't get it rolling from a dead stop. Without the start winding
you have to get a motor spinning pretty fast for the Run winding alone
to get it moving, and that with no load like a radial arm saw.

I think the little Chief 15's came with a 3/4 HP motor. When I was
young and foolish I thought they were overpowered for what they were,
then I sat down and thought about it.

With the large flywheel mass and all the friction points on an
offset press (all the damper rollers and ink system rollers, the
friction caused by the blanket, the in-feed and out-feed mechanisms,
etc.) all being run by that one motor, 1/4 HP wouldn't have a chance
without a hand-spin.

Go ask the friend - Betcha the old motor died, and he had that little
one on hand. And "it worked" so he never bothered.

-- Bruce --