Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hum but no motion

Things do go pear-shaped in threes: Today I was happily mangling a piece of
wood on my wood-lathe when sharpening became necessary. I turned on my
smaller bench grinder which has a sharpening jig attached. The motor started
to hum but the spindle would not turn. I switched off and turned the wheel
by hand. Smooth as you like. I repeated the procedure three times with the
same result. Possibly a little twitch of the wheel. I assumed the grinder
was gone (Canadian Tire Jobmate, about two years old and hardly overused.
Shame, I actually liked it more than my other grinder - way quieter). At the
end of the session I tried to turn it on once more and lo and behold, it
worked fine! I quickly sharpened all there was to be sharpened before I
switched off.

So the question is: What is the likely cause of this intermittent fault?

Thanks,

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

PS I am not going to ask about the washing machine! The printer started
smoking when I was printing out the service manual :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:
Things do go pear-shaped in threes: Today I was happily mangling a piece of
wood on my wood-lathe when sharpening became necessary. I turned on my
smaller bench grinder which has a sharpening jig attached. The motor started
to hum but the spindle would not turn. I switched off and turned the wheel
by hand. Smooth as you like. I repeated the procedure three times with the
same result. Possibly a little twitch of the wheel. I assumed the grinder
was gone (Canadian Tire Jobmate, about two years old and hardly overused.
Shame, I actually liked it more than my other grinder - way quieter). At the
end of the session I tried to turn it on once more and lo and behold, it
worked fine! I quickly sharpened all there was to be sharpened before I
switched off.

So the question is: What is the likely cause of this intermittent fault?

Dirty start winding contacts. If you pull it
apart, you'll probably find a spider-like device
on one end of the shaft. It snaps out when the
rotor gets up to speed and by snapping out, it
disconnects the start winding contacts on the
frame. Look for the start contacts and see if
they are burned/corroded/dirty and fix them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Dirty start winding contacts. If you pull it
apart, you'll probably find a spider-like device
on one end of the shaft. ...

Almost certainly true. But be careful when pulling it apart - bending
the spider's legs will put it out of adjustment. In which case the
contacts may never close or never open.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:15:11 -0800, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

[...]

1. Bad switch
2. Marginal connections to start cap
3. dirty inboard startup switch

4. Bad outlet.

If it happens again..check #4 first..then work your way down the list

Gunner

DISCLAIMER: The content does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either
my ISP, myself, my company or employer, my friends (if any,) my goldfish or
my neighbour's mad dog; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything;
all rights reserved; the post is distribution copyrighted to the extent that
you may distribute the post and all its associated parts freely but you may
not make a profit from it or include the post in commercial publications
without written permission from the Prime Minister of Hutt Province; other
copyright laws for specific posts apply wherever noted or not noted, either
deliberately, negligently, or otherwise; posts are subject to change without
notice; posts are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to
actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental;
hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or
spindle; do not pass go; do not collect $200; your mileage may vary; no
substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; the post is void where
prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; the post is provided "as is"
without any warranties expressed or implied; user assumes full liabilities;
not liable for damages due to use or misuse; an equal opportunity abuse
employer; no shoes, no shirt; quantities are limited while supplies last; if
defects are discovered, do not attempt to fix them yourself but return to an
authorised post service centre; caveat emptor; read at your own risk;
parental advisory - explicit words; text may contain material some readers
may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised; not suitable for
children; not suitable for adults; not for human consumption; keep away from
sunlight, pets and small children; limit one-per-family; no money down; no
purchase necessary; to approved purchasers only; facsimiles are acceptable
in South Australia; you need not be present to read this post; some assembly
required; batteries not included; action figures sold separately; no
preservatives added; tools not included; safety goggles may be required
during use; sealed for your protection, do not use if the safety seal is
broken; call before you dig; for external use only; if a rash, redness,
irritation or swelling develops, discontinue use; use only with proper
ventilation; avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool, dry place; keep
away from open flames, naked flames and old flames; avoid inhaling fumes;
avoid contact with mucous membranes; do not puncture, incinerate, or store
above 60 degrees Centigrade; do not place near flammable or magnetic source;
smoking the post may be hazardous to your health; the best safeguard, second
only to abstinence, is the use of a good laugh; text used on the post is
made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles; no animals were
used to test the hilarity of this post other than Synapse Syndrome; no salt,
MSG, artificial colour or flavour added; may contain traces of replies to
peanuts; if ingested, do not induce vomiting, if symptoms persist, consult
your humourologist; post is ribbed for your pleasure; slippery when wet;
must be 18 to read; possible penalties for early withdrawal; post offer
valid only in participating newsgroups; slightly higher in South Australia;
allow four to six weeks for delivery; damage from hurricane, lightning,
tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, flood, orgasm, misuse,
self-abuse, neglect, unauthorised repair, damage from improper installation,
broken antenna, marred cabinet, incorrect line voltage, missing or altered
serial numbers, sonic boom vibrations, electromagnetic radiation from
nuclear blasts or other Acts of God are not covered; incidents owing to
aeroplane crash, ship sinking, motor vehicle accidents, leaky roof, broken
glass, falling rocks, mud
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

agree - wood dust from your lathe and sanding - you could try compressed air
to blow the dust out first, that might work - if it doesn't, take it apart
and burnish the contacts with 600 paper and reassemble. Also make sure the
centrifugal mechanism that actuates it moves freely.

If it happens again, spin grinder fast by hand and turn on, it will probably
then just spin up to speed.

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Michael Koblic wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
agree - wood dust from your lathe and sanding - you could try compressed
air to blow the dust out first, that might work - if it doesn't, take it
apart and burnish the contacts with 600 paper and reassemble. Also make
sure the centrifugal mechanism that actuates it moves freely.

If it happens again, spin grinder fast by hand and turn on, it will
probably then just spin up to speed.

That reminds me of the homemade wood lathe someone gave me when I was in
high school. It had the only electric motor in town with a rope starter. You
had to make sure the rope was completely unwound and clear before throwing
the switch. g

--
Ed Huntress

Michael Koblic wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in
:

agree - wood dust from your lathe and sanding - you could try
compressed air to blow the dust out first, that might work - if it
doesn't, take it apart and burnish the contacts with 600 paper and
reassemble. Also make sure the centrifugal mechanism that actuates it
moves freely.

If it happens again, spin grinder fast by hand and turn on, it will
probably then just spin up to speed.

It's been so long I can't remember where it was, but someplace I
frequented (friends shop?) had a grinder like this. You got used to
giving the wheel a flick before hitting the switch, and off it went.
Fixing it properly had been on his "to do" list for years, but the time
it took to flick it into motion seemed so trivial compared to the time to
tear it down & fix it that the owner never bothered. It's probably still
like that if he's still around.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote:

agree - wood dust from your lathe and sanding - you could try compressed air
to blow the dust out first, that might work - if it doesn't, take it apart
and burnish the contacts with 600 paper and reassemble. Also make sure the
centrifugal mechanism that actuates it moves freely.

I'd try burnishing with a crisp dollar bill held between the contacts first.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:14:58 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

"Bill Noble" wrote in
:

[...]

Similar to a friend's printing press - flip the switch and roll the
big flywheel. I seriously doubt that the little 1/4 HP washing machine
motor could have got that thing rolling from dead stop even with the
start winding helping!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 21:00:23 -0800, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

If it happens again, spin grinder fast by hand and turn on, it will probably
then just spin up to speed.

I have a buffer like that. 2 HP, 120V 3450 RPM single phase motor. It
actually can self-start, but when doing so it draws peak current of
195 amps for part of a second. Sometimes the 20 amp breaker can
ignore that, sometimes it can't. I just give the wheel a brisk spin
before hitting the green button.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:16:17 -0500, Gerald Miller
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:14:58 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

"Bill Noble" wrote in
:

[...]

I think you just answered your own question - The little motor
couldn't get it rolling from a dead stop. Without the start winding
you have to get a motor spinning pretty fast for the Run winding alone
to get it moving, and that with no load like a radial arm saw.

I think the little Chief 15's came with a 3/4 HP motor. When I was
young and foolish I thought they were overpowered for what they were,
then I sat down and thought about it.

With the large flywheel mass and all the friction points on an
offset press (all the damper rollers and ink system rollers, the
friction caused by the blanket, the in-feed and out-feed mechanisms,
etc.) all being run by that one motor, 1/4 HP wouldn't have a chance
without a hand-spin.

Go ask the friend - Betcha the old motor died, and he had that little
one on hand. And "it worked" so he never bothered.

-- Bruce --