Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bryce[_2_] Bryce[_2_] is offline

Default washing machine repair - hotpoint

Rich Webb wrote:

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 02:46:38 -0800 (PST), paulfoel
wrote:

On Nov 12, 9:32 am, Ross Herbert wrote:
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 01:00:25 -0800 (PST), paulfoel
wrote:

:Thanks for the help.
:
:I think I'm probably going to have to call someone out to look at
:this...

That could be expensive...

Have you asked service agents what they charge for a field visit? This
fee will only be discounted if you decide to let them repair it.

Official Hotpoint fix fee is £100 fixed fee. Washing machine only cost
me £185 so I guess its not really worth it.

Don't be so sure. They're basically pretty simple machines and yours is
partly working. The odds are very high that a parts breakdown (exploded
view) and/or a service manual is discoverable on the web. Even without
one, knowing what works (the timing motor, fill valves, water level
sensors, drain pump) and what doesn't (the agitator and spin) should let
you narrow it down to what has failed.

It's at least worth a look inside. What can possibly go wrong? Well,
given 240VAC, water, and a metal box with rotating parts a few things
could go horribly wrong, so exercise due caution.

Mine began to misbehave a few months back. I was very annoyed ... after
all, it was only 37 years old. Calling in the medics was clearly unwise, so
I gave it a try myself. No documentation on-line for this relic, but after
thinking about it for a while, I actually fixed it. Free! Gloat-gloat.

Bryce