Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Low-Angle Smooth Plane

On 11/12/2009 08:12 AM, wrote:

Further to that Veritas Low-Angle Smooth Plane I bought about a week
ago, I received the A2 blade for it in the mail yesterday.

Man is that thing sharp. The instructions for the blade immediately
warn you to be careful with the blade and of course being the dumb ass
I am, I immediately slice my finger on it.

You can probably get it sharper. They usually don't come honed.

So, now that I've personally initiated my plane with my blood,
it's time to make some shavings.

I was laying hardwood flooring and doing a little bit of chisel work.
Cut myself nicely but the chisel was sharp enough that the only reason I
noticed was that there were these red smears on the flooring.

Next stop down the slippery slope: a Veritas right hand plow plane.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,230,41182

I used mine when I had to add grooves to some flooring boards late at
night. Worked great. Make sure the edges of the fence are eased so
that you don't mar the surface the fence rides against. You can also
add an auxiliary wooden fence.

Also...set it for the thickest shavings you can manage. Makes the job
go much quicker. Tearout at the bottom of a groove isn't normally a
problem.

Chris