Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BT phone line

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:49:05 +0000, Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot
wrote:

Because it's already there! All the real work's already been done,
surely, or am I missing something?

Yes. All that's there is a wire back to a local connection point. It
still needs to be connected back to the exchange. BT will have
multi-core cables running between various connection points, but
someone has to get in there and connect up spare pairs back to the
exchange. That can take some time (I watched them do it, in part,
when they connected the extra line so I could have ADSL).

Not to mention connecting it to the exchange equipment, testing it
and so on.

Then why do they offer free installations on a regular basis?

Probably with a two year contract or somesuch.

Si