Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default BT phone line

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:33:40 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Jules wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:14:17 +0000, A.Lee wrote:
No, you cannot activate the line as it will need 'connecting up' at the
exchange or local junction box. Actually, it probably is already
connected, but needs a software or actual switch turning on to make it
live.

... so that sounds like 2 minutes work. 60 quid a minute's not a bad rate
:-)

I can understand a charge for doing some real work - but if the line's
already laid without them ever knowing if someone will want it then more
fool them; I'm not sure why the first person who happens to want it
should get stung for work that's already been done.

It wont be already necessarily laid.

Typically in a new build it merely means that there is a cable to
somewhere in BTs ducts.

Someone still has to go out in the cold and wet, hunker over a street
cabinet, connect some wires up, go back to the exchange, set it all up
there, go to the customers premises, check they got the right pair, if
not redo from start, check if noise is acceptable, and then drive back
to base.

Yes, I can understand that costing real money - but it seems unfair to
lump it on one resident if the cable is already there and the work
involved is minimal. I'm getting the impression that BT don't make the
distinction though and just charge anyway.

It's not necessarily a nice little earner for them of course because the
work's still been done by them at some point - but I'm quite surprised
that if it *has* been done then it hasn't already somehow been absorbed
into the development costs for the new build.

cheers

Jules