Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default BT phone line

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Peter smith wrote:

My neice moved into a new build flat, its has a white bt phone line and
BT will charge £122.50 to activate it! which sounds like a lot of money
to me.
All the wiring is done and there is a phone line 3 rooms. Which seem to
be wired up to a grey box on the outside of the property.
There is no dial tone when a phone is plugged in.
Is there anyway I can activate the line or does this require some
special equipment to do ?

No, you cannot activate the line as it will need 'connecting up' at the
exchange or local junction box. Actually, it probably is already
connected, but needs a software or actual switch turning on to make it
live.
Yes, BT connection charges are not in the real world, though I thought
it was nearer to £75 for connection.
Alan.

Considering what it costs these days to get a plumber or electrician or
builder to your house, or if you look at the hourly rate your local garage
charges, I don't think that BT's connection charges are "not in the real
world" at all - even if it is 120 quid. As a father of daughters myself, and
having been through the 'first house - save money' scenario, I can
appreciate the desire to try to help in this respect, but sometimes, the
lessons of how much it *really* costs to live in the modern world, just have
to be learnt ... :-\

Arfa