Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default Changing a Walker Turner saw from 220 to 120

On Nov 9, 1:17*pm, dpb wrote:
sibosop wrote:

Thanks for that info. I was searching around for it. I'm out of my
denial phase...

How far a run you have to make? *I'd suggest going w/ 10ga minimum even
thought 12 for 20A on 220V will be plenty; the extra size will cut the
voltage drop significantly if it's any distance to run at all.

And, the side benefit is that you'll have enough capacity down the road
if add dust collection to run 'em both simultaneously as just one
example of the extra load possible not thinking of at the moment.

The issue I see here is that 10Ga will allow a 30A service, but the
outlet must also then be 30A. I'm not sure it's cricket to add
multiple outlets on a 240 service, in any case, and it absolutely
isn't allowed to have outlets with lesser ampacity than the breaker.
This sort of thing is normal (special case) on a 120V service (15A
outlets are allowed on 20A service) but it isn't on a 240V circuit.
The way to do this sort of thing right is to put a sub-panel in the
shop and wire that with 10-3, or better, 8-3. Then break that out
into the individual circuits.