Posted to rec.woodworking
diggerop diggerop is offline

Default Finally, WHY he did it?

"Greg G." wrote in message
J. Clarke said:

Greg G. wrote:
I've owned both, and will give up neither. And believe it or not we
still have a couple of states in the US which are helmet optional;
Florida being one of them. Besides, beyond a certain speed, the helmet
is only for identification purposes. ;-)

I don't expect it to save my life, but I do expect it to spare me some
pain.
Road rash on the face won't kill you, but it will make you _wish_ it had.

I wear a helmet, and have worn harnesses or seat belts since a teen.
Only laid it down once; a drunk driver ran the sign on a side street
on a Saturday night. This was 23 years ago, and the brown looking
marks on my arms are still visible. I'm not sure, but think there is
still some burnt asphalt in there. Glad it's not on my face - there's
plenty of fugly there already.

Greg G.

I've been off a few times, only once was it bad. Riding home in the country,
doing around 85 mph on an unsealed road and someone had pulled a wire gate
across a shared laneway to direct a mob of sheep into an adjacent paddock.
(common occurrence in rural Oz back then) By the time I realised it was
there, I was skidding down the road like I'd bee flung out of a catapault,
face down and trying unsuccessfully to turn onto my back. Shredded my
leathers and a lot of skin too. No helmet. Two weeks before I could walk or
use my hands.
Promptly sold the bike, a Kawasaki Mach 111, fastest thing on two wheels in
it's day. And lethal.
Went back to riding ponderous old cruisers.

diggerop