Posted to rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi Luigi Zanasi is offline

Default OT Rant

On Nov 7, 6:31*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 14:25:42 -0500, the infamous
scrawled the following:

Should your Messiah end up bringing your country out of dark chapter
into a profitable world, what will you say?

I'd likely say "It probably wasn't him who did it." *We cannot spend
our way out of a bloody economic hole, foo.

Yes we can. (Sorry, couldn't resist) Speaking as an economist, the
only way out is to increase aggregate demand and there's only three
things that can do that: increase exports, increase private investment
in capital goods, or increase government spending. The alternative to
government spending is to pray that Chinese demand increases enough so
they start importing from the rest of us. Private spending on
investment goods ain't gonna happen until things are profitable again.

Government spending increases is how we got out of the 1930s
depression. Economies remained stagnant throughout the 1930s until
government spending was massively increased starting with Germany from
1934-1938 (autobahns, public works and infrastructure, rearmament),
Canada and the UK did did it from 1939-45, US did in 1941-45.

Luigi