Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT Rant

HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 17:14:05 -0800, "LDosser"
wrote:

Hmmmm? Nice attempt to blow smoke but it just doesn't fly when you
consider all the other countries around the world that *have* taken
that path and done quite well. Take Canada

We just might ...

Yup, but it would have to happen very subtly. All Canadian born
citizens have considered that possibility at one time or another and
I'm sure there are a number of catalysts (water, oil, etc) to cause
exactly that to happen. However, despite the US being the world's
only existing superpower, I wonder how well it would eventually fare
if the rest of the world was arrayed against it.

Quite well. The United States Coast Guard is larger, in ships and
manpower, that all of the rest of the world's navies. Combined.

The kind of number that idiot civilians like to throw around. Coast Guard
ships have neither the speed nor the armament to deal with purpose-made
warships. They can't run away, they can't close the range, and their
weapons are outranged, so all they can do is sit there and take hits. And
that's the ones that _have_ weapons. More than half of that number is buoy
tenders and tugs and other classes that were never intended to get in a
fight.

The Coast Guard is superb at what they do, but what they do is not fight
wars.

I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more
than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.

Well, now, let's see, after those navies have wiped out New York, Los
Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia and Phoenix they're at your 20
million, and they still have over 1400 warheads to use up, that they can put
_anywhere_ in the US.

Oh, and between them the British, German, and French navies have the Coast
Guard nicely outnumbered, and that's just counting British, German, and
French combatant warships against _everything_ that the Coast Guard has
that's longer than 65 feet.

Really, you're coming across as a clueless jingoist here.