Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
[email protected] upscale@teksavvy.com is offline

Default Workbench

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 15:45:59 -0800, "Jim Hall"
wrote:
but in the end I looked at what I planned to use the bench for and then
decided what it should be. You can't build all of the options into one
bench and so in the end it's trade-offs.

When I started getting ready for a decent work bench, (at least what I
consider a decent work bench) I didn't have to look very hard. I'm
putting together a bench very much like the one my father had and the
same one I used until I moved out when I was 19 years old. After that,
any bench I had was a cheap imitation using single sheet of 3/4 inch
ply as the bench top.

Now I'm putting something together that will be much more steady and
long lasting. Sure, there's always improvements and new methods to
consider, but it always comes back to me to build a bench similar to
what I was happiest using when I was a kid. Maybe in reality, I'm
trying to reclaim some of that childhood innocence and happiness I
remember, but if that's what it is, then I'm fine with it. My only
true improvement with this present day bench will be the addition of
dog holes. Didn't have them before and so, didn't miss them at all.
But, I'll always think of my Dad every time I use this new bench. That
can't be a bad thing.